Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Tuesday 19 June 2012

Recycling a la francaise

Our village is in the process of introducing kerbside recycling. It seems the French (or maybe this region particularly) does not perform well in recycling. So they're introducing an incentive scheme. New bins will be equipped with barcodes identifying their household and the landfill waste will be weighed as it is collected. The individual's council tax will be reduced according to the diminution of household waste. Great idea to incentivise recycling but they won't let us use it. I thought it would be great for us as we pay all year round for about three months services and it looked like we'd get something back. However, they've taken away our old bin and will only provide us with yellow bags. I protested vehemently at the Mairie but was told that we should examine our next council tax bill and if we felt we were being overcharged, there was a period during which we could challenge it. So that will be the next French Bureaucracy challenge!

No comments: