Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Friday 11 May 2012

Pokies and hot coffee

A couple of things which we couldn't help noticing in Australia which you probably won't find in the guidebooks.
We kept seeing protesting posters saying things like "No More Pokies". What??
Well it seems Pokies are gaming machines and there is felt to be an epidemic of them.



The picture is typical. It's of a historic hotel in the centre of Ballarat which has this in the lobby. I've not researched the background to their growth but it is clear there is a groundswell of popular opposition to many applications for installations.

Incidentally, as our hosts pointed out to us, the hotel made a rather big bloomer when ordering their custom-printed carpet, which says Dieu et mon Driot.



Another tip for the traveller is how to order your coffee, something we did lots of!
If you like your coffee hot, you have to say so. The default is "not hot". How odd. And how many lukewarm coffees we consumed before making this discovery. I blame McD, or rather the idiot who sued them for scalding her. If anyone knows otherwise I'd like to hear from you.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Kettering,United Kingdom

No comments: