Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Friday 17 December 2010

Walking tour
Monday I followed a walking tour from the LP guide, which took me eventually to Durbar square. It was really good, as I saw countless quiet squares I would never have noticed, as well as old shrines and carvings which you really need pointing out. 

Harmonium manufacture and repairs

This piece of wood is studded with coins nailed there to ward off toothache!


 
It's still quite warm in the middle of the day but my room is very chilly so I was pleased to find a restaurant which was not open to the chilly night air and which had a blazing fire in the middle. It was a change to come back warm enough to not mind undressing for bed!
Tuesday I went back for a second look at Durbar square and spent some time enjoying a concert to mark the occasion of 60 years of UNHCR involvement with refugees in Nepal. 

Went to the other Durbar square, in Patan (south Kathmandu). Very pleased to have seen it, as I thought it much more attractive than the central one. It has been a surprise to me to see how many lovely old buildings are to be found all over the city, crowded by shops and squalor and throngs of people. What a fascinating place it is.

No comments: