Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Wednesday 4 April 2012

Castlemaine

We've been exploring the locality round where we're staying, which is Campbell's Creek near Castlemaine about an hour north of Melbourne. One really good way has been through the local tourist bureau which rents out audio guides. They lend you an mp3 player loaded with tour guides, and a paper map of the route and set you off. We've done the town tour and one of a historic gold mine site. This was the site of a major gold rush in the 1850s. There's not a lot left to see on the ground but with the explanations in your headphones it makes a lot more sense. And it's really evocative of those times to hear the noise of the batteries which crushed the quartz, and old diggers' songs and music as you follow the trail through the site.

Jon is steeped in old cars as our host is an expert car restorer so they are all around us, and we even borrow one to go sight-seeing.

I'm posting this now, brief and without photos as I may soon be off-line, at least for a few days as I think my iPad Sim card is about to expire. Hopefully I'll finish it off better later...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Main Rd,Campbells Creek,Australia

No comments: