Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Monday 3 October 2011

Allotments and farms and language methods

What else?
We've had a dinner party, the greatest success of which was my summer pudding. The first time I'd made it, and it looked magnificent, I have to say. We sat talking afterwards about books, audio books and various ways to improve learning French/English. Barbara reads books in English to understand the story, then listens to the audio book in French. I read the newspapers and go to every function I think may afford me the opportunity to talk to anyone French. Marie and I, Michel and Jon exchange sessions in one language or the other. But we often hear people who have lived here for years saying that they still have trouble following the news or films in French. I'm not sure if that's disheartening or encouraging!

Family gardens
I've spent an afternoon on a group bike ride in Carcassonne, along the banks of the river, visiting “les jardins familiaux” - what we would call allotments.

 One of the "cyclists",a keen gardener.

It was interesting to explore the river banks, which constitute a tranquil recreational area between the old walled city and the lower town. And to hear from the gardeners how their plots are managed. This event was organized by the CAUE, an official body concerned with preserving the architecture, environment and planning of the town.





From farm to farm
View over Saissac to the Pyrennees, on our way to the farms
Our most recent event, again in the company of Marie and Michel, was “De Ferme en Ferme”, an annual event which attracts hundreds of visitors to local farms, to see how they are managed and to taste their products. We visited a deer farm, where we were able to hear the rutting call of the stag.
The stag

He had a troupe of 44 adoring females and no competitors but he was still anxious enough to make sure of his 44 wives that he strutted round threateningly, bellowing occasionally. Then a goat farm where I made a friend for life by scratching a nanny goat's head.

Marie and Michel at the olive oil tasting table
Lunch at the château, and an olive producer afterwards. Did you know that olives have to be soaked in sodium hydroxide to make them edible?



No comments: