Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Friday 27 May 2011

Tied in knots

Jon thinks I'm mad.  I've a new passion - knots.
Most motorway boutiques here have a stand of laminated leaflets on a variety of subjects, all bite-sized nuggets of information on topics such as Travelling in England,  French kings, Wine-making, Conjugation, etc etc. Well, last year I was admiring one of these on KNOTS. I really wanted to buy it but thought it was one of those soon-regretted impulses and besides I was on an ant-consumption kick, so I left it.

And thought about it off and on ever since.

This time we drove down so we had to stop at every motorway service area to look. No luck. Eventually I thought to look on-line and found the publishers web-site.  Whoopee. Went through the usual rigmarole to make my way finally to the checkout, enter my French card details , only to fail the "Verified by Visa" extra security question - my date of birth. Three strikes and they block your card so I tried twice and gave up. At the bank next day, Tuesday, it appeared that they had my DOB wrong in the system despite my having sent in a form and a copy of my passport at their insistence a month ago. Corrected it with another copy of my passport and was told to try again on Thursday. Duly did, failed again, third strike so card can no longer be used on-line.  Great. Bank again. Probably need to give Visa even longer to amend my details.  Try again on Monday, or order a new card. It almost certainly won't work on Monday so we'll have to see where we go from there.

Meanwhile, I have found a little book by the same author, not nearly so nice and well-presented, but I'm hooked. There are bits of knotted string all over the place and Jon looking slightly bemused, as if reading books on Kindle, playing arcade games on my phone and listening to French podcasts weren't enough he seems to say!

What seemed to amuse him was watching me have to close my eyes to complete a knot! Not that funny - I just needed to recall the diagram.

Anyway, if any of you understands what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear from you!  I seem to be on my own so far.

3 comments:

Maryse said...

I don't understand Rosemary - you should put a picture of your knots.

Maryse

Unknown said...

Nice to get comments from you Maryse. Thanks. I'm working on my response. Just got back from a visit to Provence so will try to put photos up tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I've just added a photo of a selection of knots specially for you, Maryse. Hope you like them !?