Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Sunday 15 May 2011

Getting here

Drove down this time as we had our replacement car to bring out, having scrapped the other one last year.

On the way we stopped at Loos-en-Goohel to see my grandfather's name inscribed on the war memorial. It was so strange to see that familiar name in a place I'd never seen before. He was killed when my father was 2 years old and I don't think his wife, my grandmother, will have seen his memorial plaque. I know him only by seeing that name written inside many of the books that I grew up with. The cemetery was beautifully planted and immaculate, and it struck me how many families' lives were changed so drastically like ours by those millions of deaths (about 16 million over all nations involved).



Attwood J C, my grandfather

Apart from that we also visited two car museums, the Schlumpf collection of over 500 vehicles near Strasbourg, and the Peugeot museum, which houses a mere 200 or so. After this we got our heads down and drove continously, arriving on Thursday night, May 5th.



We spent Friday tackling the most pressing matters such as car insurance and MOTs, banking and carpet ordering (all gone haywire as our cheque had not arrived so the carpet wasn't ordered and was now out of stock, and the fitter is due next Monday). All this so that I was clear to join rehearsals for the Chorale Citoyenne de Carcassonne all weekend.

No comments: