Welcome

This is how to keep up in touch with me when I'm on my travels. Hope you like it - please give me feedback as to what you might like to see on it - or not!



Friday 9 March 2012

24 hours in Dubai

The first leg as far as Dubai was over 6 hours and left an hour late but wasn't too bad. Worse was the realisation that our room wasn't available until midday (this being 8.45 am). We desperately wanted a lie down as neither of us slept on the flight.  Our nephew, Michael, and his girlfriend Olla, are working in Dubai at the moment and they showed up to take us around. They did a very good job and we oohed and ahed at the amazing buildings, but were actually appalled at the ostentatious wealth and racism. The Philipinos are at the bottom of the pecking order, followed by the black Africans and Pakistanis.  We saw a documentary on the plane about the building of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, and in the evening sat having dinner beside the water in front of it which, every half hour erupted in a spectacular water fountain show. With the lights in the skyscrapers all round it was a quite magical experience. Unfortunately all the photos of that evening are on my Blackberry and Apple doesn't like Blackberry so despite my best efforts I haven't been able to get photos from my phone onto the iPad, damn it. I get so cross with the iPad for dictating to me all the time.  Now I'm struggling to include photos here. In fact I probably will have to email them separately.

No comments: